Degree Requirements - Transfer Credits (How To)

How to Transfer Credits

Graduate students at Colorado School of Mines, may transfer a limited number of credits from other universities and or a Colorado School of Mines undergraduate transcript. The Office of Graduate Studies does not transfer credits upon admission. To transfer credits, students need to:

1. Read the transfer limitsPDF versionText only version and determine how many credits may transfer.

2. Meet with advisor and committee to get the transfer coursework approved.

3. Send your official transcripts to the Office of Graduate Studies.

If you sent these transcripts when you applied for admission, you do not need to send them again.
Students earning credits at another institution through the Registrars' Reciprocal Agreement do not need to submit transcripts

4. Complete the Degree Audit form.

All transfer credits from other universities must be listed in the transfer section. 
All transfer credits from a CSM undergraduate transcript must be listed in the normal 400 level or 500-600 level course section.

Credits transferred from a CSM undergraduate transcript may not have been used towards a CSM bachelor's degree, unless the student is a BS-MS combined student and is working towards either a 36-38 credit master's degree or is a BS-PhD combined student and those courses are used as double counted courses.

PhD students:

If you are transferring a thesis-based master's degree, you will list the course as "Thesis-Based Master's Degree" and the credits as "36"
If you are transferring a non-thesis based master's degree or any individual graduate level courses, you will list each course individually (maximum of 24 credit hours). You may not transfer research credits.
If you have earned a master's degree from CSM, those courses are not transfer credits and should not be listed in the transfer section. Instead, these course need to be listed in either the 400 level or 500-600 level course section. CSM research credits will be listed in the research section.  

5. Submit your Degree Audit form to the Office of Graduate Studies by the deadline.

Credits at CSM are semester hours. Any transfer credit that is not in semester hours will be adjusted accordingly. For example, 3 quarter hours will be worth 2 semester hours and 4 ECT (European Hours) will be worth 2 semester hours.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION about taking transfer credits your final semester.

Due to time constraints, students taking transfer credit at another institution, including credits through the Reciprocal Agreement during the final semester at CSM may not be able to graduate that semester.
To ensure that your degree is awarded, official transcripts with transfer credit must be on file with the Office of Graduate Studies and/or grades for students using the Reciprocal Agreement must be entered in the system by the Registrar's Office  by no later than 5 business day after graduation.

In the event that we do not have either the official transcripts or the grades have not been entered by the Registrar, your degree may not be awarded until the following semester. 


Return to Quick Reference Guide